The French automotive sector spends 4.5 billion euros a year on research and development and represents a quarter of all industrial R&D in Europe.
As a recognised innovator and technology leader, the French automotive sector in the last 20 years has made significant contributions to the development of new technology to improve vehicle performance, comfort and safety and new project methodologies to improve quality, cost and deadlines.
Today, the French automotive industry is one of the mainstays of ALTEN's business and represents more than 15% of our revenues. A total of 1,500 ALTEN consultants are working on projects for the top European vehicle and equipment manufacturers in our French and international subsidiaries.
Over the past 20 years, we have constantly adapted to help our partners step up to the challenges of performance, safety, productivity, regulatory compliance, quality, international markets, communications/telematics, pollution control and hybrid power train development.
How does ALTEN bring its clients added value ?
- Our ability to mobilise our resources and commit to results.
- The technological expertise of our specialised subsidiaries (particularly in power train engineering), which provides the basis for in-house research and development programmes.
- Our integrated, international approach to the automotive sector (vehicle and equipment manufacturers).
Responding to major changes in the automotive industry, manufacturers are completely reviewing their R&D strategy and more than ever calling on outside specialists to speed up innovation and minimise time-to-market by overcoming problems associated with new product industrialisation.
As an integrated part of our clients' R&D chain, ALTEN creates value in the following areas :
- Mechanical engineering : design, computation, tools & methods
- Electricity and electronics : design and development of components, harness design, integration/validation and dependability
- Embedded software : architecture, development, testing, integration, documentation, maintenance and dependability
- Power train engineering : systems architecture, propulsion control, synthesis, development, testing and dependability
- Vehicle engineering : design and development of major components, functional design, project management, supplier management, diagnostics and dependability
- Quality : supplier/client management, process quality and product quality
- Logistics : supply chain, internal and external workflows
- New product industrialisation : processes, methods and manufacturing
|As part of a new vehicle launch, coordination of welding operations at three production sites (France and international), from reception of welding equipment to start of production + 6 months.
||Mechanical design of instrument panels, modelling of dashboard illumination and software testing.
|Complete development of electrical and mechatronic components for hybrid vehicles.
||Development / life cycle support of diesel engines (2 litre) and automatic transmissions (6 speed) in outsourced platforms, integration and validation of engine and automatic transmission control strategies.
|Perfective and corrective maintenance for in-vehicle embedded software.
||Design of a hybrid power train computer.